Jeff's "ultimate" Meatballs
Adaptation from Tyler’s Ultimate Meat Balls. The secret to this recipe is the cheese in the middle. Better, but messy, is to grab some Mascarpone cheese and wrap that around the mozzarella. This can also be made into a meatloaf, but the cheese should be laid out in the middle.
- Ready In:
- 1hr 45mins
- 1 lb lean ground beef (round is good, sirloin better)
- 1 lb ground veal
- 2 shallots, finely diced
- 3 large garlic cloves
- 2 leaves fresh basil, finely chopped
- 2 sprigs fresh oregano, finely chopped or 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 leaves sage, finely chopped
- 1 sprig rosemary, stripped and chopped
- 3 sprigs fresh thyme, stripped and chopped
- 1 sprig parsley, finely chopped
- 1 egg (beaten)
- 4 slices of torn up bread, soaked in milk (preferred) or 1/2 cup unseasoned breadcrumbs (preferred)
- 4 ounces mozzarella cheese, in a hunk (not shredded)
- 1 cup Italian seasoned breadcrumbs (for coating)
- 1⁄2 cup olive oil
- your favorite tomato sauce
- Throw all the Meatball mix stuff into a bowl and mix it with your hands. If you don’t like using your hands, get over it.
- Cut the mozzarella cheese into small cubes.
- Wrap some meatball mix around the cheese and form a ball (see why it’s in a hunk?).
- Roll the balls in the seasoned breadcrumbs until coated.
- Brown the meatballs in Olive Oil.
- Toss them into an ovenproof dish with the tomato sauce.
- Cover them with tin foil and bake at 350 for about 45 minutes.