Javanese Peanut Pasta
photo by smoke alarm jr
- Ready In:
- 2 teaspoons peanut oil
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons dried crushed red pepper flakes
- 4 scallions, chopped
- 2 tablespoons dark brown sugar
- 4 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon ginger
- 1 clove garlic, pressed
- 1 cup chunky peanut butter
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 lb of cooked egg fettuccine pasta
- 1⁄2 - 1 cup toasted peanuts
- chopped scallion
- 1 medium cucumber, seeded and thinly sliced
- 1 sweet red pepper, thin strips
- 1⁄4 cup shredded coconut
- Heat oil and add red pepper flakes.
- Cook over low for a minute or two.
- Add the 4 chopped scallions and saute for a minute.
- Remove from heat and stir in the brown sugar, rice vinegar,sesame oil, soy sauce, ginger and garlic.
- Return pan to low heat and add peanut butter a bit at a time.
- Stirring constantly add chicken broth until hot.
- Place cooked fettucini in large shallow bowl and pour the hot peanut sauce over and toss.
- Sprinkle with toasted peanuts and scallions.
- Place cucumber slices and red pepper strips around pasta.
- Sprinkle with coconut if desired.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Mmmm, good stuff! The kids wanted spaghetti one night but the tomato sauce didn't sound good to me so I made this sauce up for myself. It was simple enough to do while preparing everyone else's food at the same time. I went a bit easy on the pepper flakes at first, not knowing how hot it would turn out, but will probably add more next time; I like having the choice of heat. ;o) The sauce was creamy with a bit of zing; next time I will try to make sure I have some fresh ginger on hand to really bring out that side of the flavor (especially with the coconut at the end). I think the sauce alone would be great on spring rolls/egg rolls too. I know this will appear on our table again ~ thanks, SAjr! :o)