- Ready In:
- 1hr 30mins
- 3 cups cooked rice, served hot (1/2 cup cooked rice per serving)
- 2 cups chopped cooked chicken, served hot
- 2 cups chow mein noodles
- 2 cups gravy (gravy recipe ( 2 cans cream of chicken soup mixed with one can of water and heated through)
- 2 tomatoes, sliced
- 1 1⁄2 cups celery, chopped
- 1 1⁄2 cups green peppers, chopped
- 1 1⁄2 cups onions, chopped
- 20 ounces crushed pineapple, well drained
- 2 cups cheddar cheese, grated
- 2 cups gravy (same recipe as above)
- 1 cup slivered almonds, toasted
- 1 cup flaked coconut
- 6 maraschino cherries
- Line up the above ingredients, in given order, in serving bowls on a counter or buffet table. Your guests take a plate and begin building their "dinner" using the rice as the base, sprinking on as much or little of each layer, finishing with a cherry on top! We were always encouraged to try every layer, leaving off no more than 2 in case there is something you are allergic to or just do not like. It is amazing how good this is and fun to make.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
This recipe was sent to my mother in the early 70s by my aunt who was a biology teacher in Richland Washington. She also was an AFS advisor. (For exchange students). The AFS club had a dinner fundraiser each year. This is the dinner that was served. Almost 50 years later I found this website and information. I never new it was from a real place other than the US. It is delicious. I serve it on special occasions.