Jasmine Rice With Caramelized Green Onions
- Ready In:
- 1 3⁄4 cups water
- 1 cup jasmine rice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1 tablespoon peanut oil
- 2 cups chopped green onions, cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄2 - 1 teaspoon sambal oelek (depending on how spicy you want it)
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons sugar
- 1⁄2 cup coarsely chopped roasted peanuts, salted, coarsely chopped or 1/2 cup coarsely chopped roasted cashews, coarsely chopped
- If necessary, lightly roasted the peanuts and coarsely chop. You want the peanuts coarsely chopped, not ground!
- Place the water, jasmine rice and 1/4 teaspoon salt in a rice cooker and cook. Once done, keep warm.
- In a saute pan, heat up the peanut oil on medium-low heat and saute the green onions, garlic and sambal oelek for about 2-3 minutes or just until softened. Stir occasionally.
- Increase the heat to medium and add the rice vinegar, sugar and remaining salt. Cook, stirring constantly until the mixture starts to caramelize, about another 3-4 minutes. Do not burn!
- Lastly, add the cooked jasmine rice and coarsely chopped peanuts; mix well.
Join The Conversation