Japanese Style Chicken Wings
photo by lazyme
- Ready In:
- 1hr 20mins
- 10 chicken wings
- 2 tablespoons grated fresh ginger
- 3 spring onions, finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons sake
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons mirin
- 1 lemon, quartered
- steamed rice, to serve
- Wash the chicken wings and wipe dry. Cut off the wing tips. Bend each wing until you can see the joint, then cut through with a sharp knife. Rub each piece with salt.
- Mix the grated ginger and most of the spring onions with the sake, soy and mirin. Toss the chicken wings in the marinade until well coated, cover with plastic film and leave for at least 30 minutes.
- Heat the grill or a cast-iron griddle. Drain the wings, reserving the marinade, and cook on both sides until half cooked, for around 10 minutes. Coat in the marinade once more, then cook for a further 10 minutes, or until golden and tender (chicken always takes longer to cook than you think), turning once or twice. Scatter with the remaining spring onions and serve with lemon wedges and steamed rice.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Delish! I'm not usually a fan of sake, but it worked well in this marinade. It was simple to prepare and was very good over rice. I think that next time I would mince the ginger rather than grate it, because the ginger flavor seemed to fade away in the marinade. I also boiled the extra marinade for about 3 minutes and served it on the side to pour over the rice. Thanks Luschka for a great wing recipe.
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I am currently on a month long tour of Europe with my husband and two of our friends. You can follow our travels on martinandluschka.blogspot.com ¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬ One of my favorite chefs is Jamie Oliver, but my husbands'a pretty good cook too! I love being creative, whether its in cooking, writing, crafts...unfortunately i'm not gifted with pens or paints, but I try to do the best I can with what I have! <img src="http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/projects/200_PACpic.jpg" border="0" alt="Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket"> <img src="http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/projects/pacbanner.jpg" border="0" alt="Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket"> <img src="http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v726/annacia/pt-shutterbug-banner-1.jpg" border="0" alt="Photobucket">