Jamaican Me Crazy Burgers
MAKE IT SHINE! ADD YOUR PHOTO
Build a Better Burger Contest, 1st prize winner, 1997, Mary Lou Newhouse, South Burlington, Vermont.
- Ready In:
- 1hr 15mins
- 1⁄2 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened dried shredded coconut
- 1 tablespoon chopped macadamia nuts
- 1 tablespoon chopped cilantro
Just Ducky Banana Chutney
- 1⁄3 cup Chinese duck sauce
- 1⁄3 cup prepared salsa
- 1 large banana, chopped
- 2 plum tomatoes, chopped
- 1 1⁄2 lbs ground beef
- 2 tablespoons chopped green bell peppers
- 2 tablespoons chopped green onions
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons ground allspice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon crumbled dried thyme
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- vegetable oil
- 6 kaiser rolls, split
- 3 cups watercress, chopped
- Prepare a medium-hot fire in a charcoal grill with a cover, or preheat a gas grill to med-high.
- Make the mayonnaise: combine all the Coconut Mayonnaise ingredients in a bowl; stir to combine; cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Make the chutney: combine the duck sauce, salsa, and banana in an 8-inch fire-proof skillet; place on the grill rack and cook, stirring, until thickened—about 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat, stir in the chopped tomatoes, cover, and refrigerate until serving.
- Make the patties: combine the beef, bell pepper, green onion, soy sauce, allspice, thyme, and cayenne.
- Handle as little as possible but combine mixture well.
- Divide mixture into 6 equal portions; form into patties to fit rolls.
- When the grill is ready, brush grill rack with oil; place the patties on the rack, cover, and cook, turning once, until done to preference—5-7 minutes on each side for medium.
- During the last few minutes of cooking, place the rolls, cut side down, on the outer edges of the rack to toast lightly.
- Assemble burgers: spread mayonnaise over the cut sides of the roll tops; on each roll bottom, place ½ cup watercress, a patty, and an equal portion of the chutney; add the roll tops and serve.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION