Jabba the Hutt Marshmallows
photo by Arlyn Osborne
- Ready In:
- 1hr 20mins
15 marshmallow treats
- Place green sanding sugar and chocolate sugar in a 9x13 baking dish and whisk to combine. Set aside.
- Add ⅓ cup of water to a bowl of a standing mixer fitted with a whisk attachment. Sprinkle over 1 packet of gelatin and let bloom.
- Position a candy thermometer in a small pot and add granulated sugar, ¼ cup water, and a pinch of salt. Whisk the mixture and then turn the heat to high. Once the mixture begins to boil, do not whisk. Bring the mixture to 240°F.
- When the mixture reaches 240 F, slowly pour into the stand mixer with the machine on low. Increase speed to high and beat to stiff peaks, about 10-15 minutes.
- Add the lime extract and ¼ teaspoon of green gel food coloring in the last minute of mixing. Transfer mixture to a piping bag fitted with a #12 round tip.
- Pipe Jabbas right onto the sanding sugar. Pipe a curved tail and then a large swirled mound for the body. Pipe a smaller swirled mound for the head and then add arms. Spoon over the sanding sugar to coat and let dry.
- Unroll the licorice wheel and cut in half vertically so you have thinner strings. Cut frowns from the strings so that they fit the faces of the Jabbas.
- Microwave the candy melts in 30 second intervals, whisking in between, until smooth melted. Transfer to a small piping bag and cut off the tip.
- Use the melted chocolate to adhere the mini M&Ms as the eyes, using tweezers if needed.
- Attach the black licorice into a frown expression on each Jabba. Let dry completely before serving.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!