It's Venison Stew, Dear
photo by David04
- Ready In:
- 4hrs 20mins
- 2 lbs venison, cubed
- 2 lbs red potatoes, skins on and quartered
- 4 cups beef broth, can also use water
- 1⁄3 cup dry red wine
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 onion, coarsely diced
- 1 (1 1/2 ounce) package beef stew seasoning, McCormick's mix
- all-purpose flour, about 1 cup for dredging
- salt and pepper
- 6 carrots, sliced in 1/4-inch
- 4 stalks celery, sliced 1/4-inch
- 2 bay leaves
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- Place 1 cup flour with salt and pepper into a bowl. Dredge venison in flour.
- Brown in frying pan over medium heat.
- Place browned venison along with it's drippings, in large pot or a slow cooker.
- Add carrots, potatoes, onion, garlic, celery, tomato paste, and beef stew mix. Add beef broth, wine, and bay leaves and then stir.
- If cooking on a stove top, cook over low heat, if using a slow cooker, cook on high setting.
- Let simmer for 4-6 hours, stirring as needed.
- If the liquid gets too low add water as needed. Thicken with cornstarch - water mixture, if needed.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!