Italian Tomato Sauce-Frugal Gourmet
MAKE IT SHINE! ADD YOUR PHOTO
This is a great Italian Tomato Sauce. It has great flavor and lasts for at least a week. Freeze the remaining sauce.
- Ready In:
- 2hrs 30mins
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil (I used just enough to lightly cover the bottom)
- 2 yellow onions, chopped
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 8 ounces mushrooms, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup Italian parsley, chopped
- 2 (28 ounce) cans tomato puree
- 6 ounces tomato paste
- 2 cups red wine (Be sure it is a good drinking wine.)
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1⁄2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon oregano
- 1 tablespoon basil
- 1 teaspoon rosemary, dried
- 2 cloves, whole
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons pepper
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- parmesan cheese
- In a 6 quart soup pot, add olive oil, onions, celery, garlic, mushrooms and parsley.
- Cook over med. heat until the vegetables are soft. Add the rest of the ingredients and bring to a slow boil.
- Turn down to simmer and let it cook for at least two hours. Stir occasionally. We like ours thick so sometimes I simmer it for three hours. Be sure to take out the bay leaves before serving.
- Great with pasta of your choice. Top with grated parmesan cheese to serve.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
This is an easy and very nice sauce to have on hand. Thx for sharing! I found the 1/4 cup of olive oil a bit too much in which to saute the vegetables but that's a personal preference. And, I always season with salt and pepper at several intervals so I really never know how much I used but the rest of the recipe I followed to a T. I doubled the recipe so we'd have some for the freezer and the portion we had I served with meatballs from Recipe #354722 served over linguine. Divine!1Reply
see 1 more