Italian Style Chicken Livers With Orzo
- Ready In:
- 1 lb chicken liver, rinsed and dried
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3⁄4 cup dry white wine or 3/4 cup vermouth
- 1 teaspoon italian seasoning (or 1/2 tsp each basil and oregano, and a pinch of rosemary)
- salt and pepper
- 3⁄4 3/4 cup acini di pepe pasta or 3/4 cup other small shaped pasta
- parmesan cheese, if desired
- Cook pasta according to package directions.
- Drain and set aside.
- In a skillet, heat olive oil.
- Add onion and garlic and cook until soft.
- Add chicken livers in a single layer and saute until firm, about 10 minutes, turning once.
- Add wine and seasonings.
- Cover and simmer on LOW heat about 5-10 minutes, or until livers are no longer pink inside.
- Uncover and continue to simmer until wine is reduced by half.
- Toss with pasta, warm through, and serve immediately with parmesan cheese if desired.
- (NOTE) This recipe just evolved, and I usually do not measure, so proportions are approximate.
- Add more or less wine if desired, and if it seems like too much pasta, then don't add it all.
- I'd taste it first before you add the cheese.
- You might like it without.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
I loved the flavor contrasts - the slight bitterness of the livers, the sweetness of the wine and the spice of the herbs. I followed the recipe as written, using Penzey's Italian Herb Mix, fresh ground black pepper and no cheese. My only suggestion is to add fresh chopped parsley for color before serving. My 4 star rating = very good, will make this again with no significant changes.