Italian Shredded Beef
Another delicious recipe from my friend Hazel. When she served this everyone around the table was going "mmmmm"! I have served this MANY times and always get asked for the recipe when I do. This isn't a fast recipe, but well worth the time it takes to make it!
- Ready In:
- 3hrs 45mins
- 3 lbs stewing beef, in 1 inch cubes
- 1 large onion, minced
- 3 beef bouillon cubes
- 2 cups hot water
- 1 cup Burgundy wine (or other dry red wine)
- 1 package good seasons Italian salad dressing mix
- Brown the beef in a small amount of oil until nice and brown.
- Add the remaining ingredients.
- Simmer until the beef is very tender and starts to shred, a MINIMUM of 3 hours.
- Check as it simmers to make sure it doesn't dry out.
- Adding more water, wine, or beef broth as needed.
- But not until necessary.
- Serve on crusty hard rolls.
- We sometimes like to add sauteed pepper strips and a slice of Provolone cheese.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
RECIPE MADE WITH LOVE BY
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
What a surprising little recipe! I used 1/3 of the ingredients, since it is just the two of us. I also salted and peppered the meat at the start. I would NOT recommend the additional salt, as the Italian seasoning is salty enough. I simmered for 3 1/2 hours, covered for one of those hours to speed up the tenderizing process. Delicious. Be careful to watch the pot every 20 minutes or so, b/c the liquid does dry up and you risk burning the meat. When all is said and done, I ended up using 1 cup Carlo Rossi Paisano red wine, 3 1/2 cups of water, and an entire medium onion, which I heated with the meat and before adding the liquid. I served on toasted white bread. Next time, I will serve on rolls with fried peppers and sliced mushrooms. I thought it tasted fabulous as is; my husband thought it needed a kick and added Famous Dave's Devil's Spit BBQ sauce. Thanks for posting this keeper!2Reply