Italian Sausage & Potatoes
- Ready In:
- 1hr 10mins
- 1 package Italian sausage (hot or sweet or turkey, it doesn't matter, it is all good!)
- 1 onion, sliced
- 4 -5 potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks
- salt and pepper (to season)
- Cut sausage in half, and put all ingredients in a casserole dish with 1 cup of water.
- Season with salt and pepper and cover.
- Bake at 350 for an hour (or until potatoes are tender).
- Remove lid for the last 15 minutes to brown.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
When I prepare this dish I leave the sausages whole and add green and red pepper chunks, cut the onion into chunks and add garlic. I do not add the water. Instead I lightly sprinkle olive oil, salt and pepper over everything, cover it and bake it for 1 hour, uncover and bake till brown. This is the version given to me by an Italian patient of an office I worked in years ago. Hope this helps you out, Rosemary.
I tried this because I like getting new recipes with Italian Sausage. We enjoyed it quite a bit but if anyone can come up with an ingredient that would add a little more flavor, I would like to know what it would be. I'm not one for experimenting much with recipes (alas!). But I will make it again. Thanks for submitting.
I used hot Italian sausage and did not cut them in half. I found that there was too much water it over cooked the onion & potatoe. I would cut back to 1/2 cup but watch that it does go totally dry as it cooks. The sausages browned nicely after being uncovered for 20 minutes and turned once. I had them 6" below the broiler. I added carrots to the recipe so my whole meal was in this one dish. When I uncovered the dish I tasted and felt it needed a little more pep so added some hot pepper flakes. This is a nice busy day meal and I will make it again modifying the water etc Thanks Melanie