Italian Sausage and Shrimp Soup
photo by LynnAlex
- Ready In:
- 1hr 20mins
- 1 lb bulk Italian sausage
- 1 lb shrimp, peeled and de-veined
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 quart chicken stock
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, with leaves chopped
- 4 red potatoes, diced
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 head garlic, chopped
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup Baby Spinach, roughly chopped
- 1⁄4 cup Italian parsley
- 1 dash of crushed red pepper
- grated parmesan cheese (optional)
- In a large pot heat olive oil and add garlic and onion, cook for 2 minutes.
- Add sausage and cook until almost brown.
- Add celery and cook for 3 minutes.
- Add potatoes, diced tomatoes, chicken stock, bay leaf, salt and pepper.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Add shrimp, spinach, parsley and red pepper.
- Simmer for 30 minutes.
- Serve with grated parmesan cheese.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Options to consider; substitute yellow rice (or white) for potato. Add a 6 oz. can of Low Sodium V8 juice to broth. Add fresh basil and parsley. Increase onion and garlic to taste. Add finely chopped carrots and mushrooms. Substitute spinach for escarole. Add an extra tablespoon of EVOO and stir gently into rice which I add as last ingredient with shrimp at boil.