Italian Rocciate Fruit and Nut Biscuits
- Ready In:
- 1⁄2 cup dried prune
- 1⁄2 cup raisins
- 1⁄2 cup dried fig, stemmed and sliced
- 2 apples, peeled, cored and sliced
- 1⁄4 cup hazelnuts, coarsely chopped
- 1⁄4 cup almonds, coarsely chopped
- 1⁄4 cup walnuts, coarsely chopped
- 1⁄4 cup pine nuts
- 1⁄4 cup marsala wine (2 fl oz/60 ml)
- 5 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (divided)
- 5 ounces superfine sugar, 155 g (caster, divided)
- 1 3⁄4 cups all-purpose white flour (7 oz/220g)
- 1 pinch salt
- water, to make soft dough
- powdered sugar (icing sugar or confectioners')
- Soak the prunes and raisins in lukewarm water for 30 minutes; drain. Pit the prunes.
- Mix the fruit and nuts in a bowl. Add the Marsala, 1 tablespoon oil and 3 oz (90 g) sugar.
- Sift the flour and salt together. Mix in the remaining oil and sugar, and enough water to make a soft dough. Form into a ball and let rest, covered, for 30 minutes.
- Divide the dough into 12 parts. Roll out each piece into a very thin square. Spread some of the fruit mixture on each square of dough, dividing it evenly.
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180 C). Roll the squares up into cylinders and place on a lightly greased baking sheet. Bake until golden, about 30 minutes. Spread with sifted powdered sugar and serve. Serves 6.
- Authentic Recipes From The Regions Of Italy.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!