Italian Meatballs Venice Italy
photo by Tim_John
- Ready In:
- 2 slices Italian bread, broken into small pieces
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh Italian parsley
- 2 finely chopped garlic cloves
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 lb beef mince, finely ground
- 6 tablespoons freshly grated grana padano cheese
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon oregano
- Soak the pieces of bread in 1/2 cup of milk for 5 minutes, then squeeze them dry. In a large mixing bowl, combine the soaked bread, the beaten egg and mix in the other ingredients.
- Knead the mixture with both hands or beat with a wooden spoon – hands are better as my Italian grandmother will gladly tell you. Keep at it until all the ingredients are well blended and the mixture is smooth and fluffy.
- Shape into balls about 1 and a 1/2 inches round. Lay the meatballs out on a baking tray, cover them with plastic wrap and chill for at least an hour.
- Heat 1/4 cup of olive oil in a large skillet. Fry the meatballs over a moderately high heat, keep the balls rolling all the time and keep them round.
- In 8 − 10 minutes, the meatballs should be brown outside and show no trace of pink inside.
- Add more oil to the skillet as needed and add your tomato sauce (a good recipe can be had here). Cook until the sauce thickens slightly.
- Enjoy your Italian meatballs recipe.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!