Italian Chocolate Almond Cookies
- Ready In:
- 8 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 1⁄2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 cup almonds, ground (if you use roasted almonds, the flavour will be intensified)
- 1⁄2 lb shortening
- 4 ounces semi-sweet bakers chocolate, chopped
- 1 lemon, rind of
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 96 small cupcake liners
- Preheat the oven to 350°F Prepare the small muffin tins with small cupcake liners.
- Melt the shortening. Once melted, add the chopped chocolate and stir until the chocolate has melted. Set aside and the let chocolate mixture cool.
- Beat the eggs slightly, then add the sugar, almonds. lemon rind and cooled chocolate, then continue beating the mixture for 5 minutes. Blend in the baking powder, then add the flour, one cup at a time, mixing well.
- Using a small cookie scoop, fill the paper cups about half way. I find that a level scoop of dough is the perfect amount.
- Bake the cookies for 6 to 8 minutes, rotating the trays half way through the baking, or until a cake tester comes out clean.
- Cool on rack. Sprinkle with icing sugar when cool.