Italian Chicken and Mushroom Skillet
photo by JoyfulCook
- Ready In:
- 1hr 35mins
- 6 -8 boneless chicken breasts
- seasoning salt
- garlic powder
- 3 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh garlic (or to taste)
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1⁄4 cup dry red wine (optional)
- 3 -4 cups fresh sliced mushrooms (can use 2 4-ounce cans mushrooms, sliced also)
- 3 (14 ounce) cans stewed tomatoes, undrained
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- In a large skillet or Dutch oven, season chicken with seasoning salt pepper and garlic powder (can use regular salt).
- Brown the chicken in oil on medium heat (about 3 minutes on both sides) remove to a plate and set aside.
- In the same skillet, saute onion, bell pepper, celery, fresh garlic, dried basil, dried oregano and mushrooms until soft, about 5 minutes (add in crushed hot pepper flakes, if using).
- Add in the tomato paste and stir for about 1 minute.
- Add in the stewed tomatoes and wine (if using) stir until combined.
- Season with more salt and pepper if desired; cover and simmer tomato mixture for for about 20-25 minutes.
- Add in the browned chicken back to the skillet, cover and simmer for another 40-45 minutes, or until the chicken is cooked and juices run clear.
- *NOTE* You might want to add in a couple of teaspoons of sugar if you think that the tomato sauce is too "acidy".
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
I loved this as a simple healthy but delicious mid week meal. It was the perfect reprieve from four days of hotel food. My one change, which was accidental, was used a full can of tomatoes in preparing a half batch of the recipe (doubling the amount). I also used the equivalent of 3 cups creminis and would suggest using 4 cups if you like mushrooms as much as I do. To reduce the cooking time in the final step, I cut my breasts in half. Served this over creamy polenta with asparagus. Yummmy!