Italian Broccoli & Salmon Pasta Bake
- Ready In:
- 1hr 5mins
- 9 ounces penne
- 2 garlic cloves, minced and sauteed in a little oil (optional)
- 10 ounces broccoli, cut into large florets
- 1 ounce butter
- 1 ounce all-purpose flour
- 2 1⁄2 cups milk
- 3 1⁄2 ounces mascarpone
- salt and pepper
- 8 sun-dried tomatoes, preserved in olive oil, drained and thickly sliced
- 2 tablespoons small capers (rinsed to remove excess salt or vinegar) (optional)
- 8 anchovy fillets, halved (optional)
- 10 large fresh basil leaves, roughly torn
- 4 fresh skinless salmon fillets
- 2 ounces sharp cheddar cheese, finely grated
- 1 ounce parmesan cheese, grated
- Preheat the oven to 375F and get out an ovenproof dish (measuring 10in by 15in, and about 2.5in deep). Meanwhile, put a large pan of water on to boil for the pasta. When it is boiling rapidly, tip in the pasta with a generous sprinkling of salt. Give it a stir, return to the boil and cook for 6 minutes. Add the broccoli, then return the water to the boil and cook for 4 minutes more, until the broccoli is on the firm side of just tender. Drain well.
- While the pasta is cooking, put the butter, flour and milk in a large pan and heat, whisking or stirring continuously, until it thickens to make a smooth sauce. Remove from the heat and stir in the mascarpone, galric, sun-dried tomatoes, capers (if using), anchovies (if using) and basil, and salt and pepper then add the pasta and broccoli and mix well.
- Halve the salmon fillets widthways (you will see that there is an obvious divide on each fillet) then place the pieces in a single layer on the base of the ovenproof dish. Spoon the broccoli mixture on top, then scatter with the grated cheddar and parmesan. (You can chill this for up to 4 hours if you want to get ahead.)
- Bake for 30 minutes until the mixture is just starting to bubble round the edges and the mixture is pale golden - don't let it go too dark or the fish will overcook.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I live in Manchester, UK with my fiance and young son. I work at the local hospital in pediatrics and love my job. I also love cooking!! I have a sweet tooth but try and make healthy family meals, I'm not against some lovely treats now and then though :)