Italian Broccoli & Salmon Bake
A new and tasty way of serving broccoli to kids!
- Ready In:
- 8 ounces penne
- salt and pepper
- 10 ounces broccoli, cut into large florets
- 1 ounce butter
- 1 ounce all-purpose flour
- 2 1⁄2 cups milk
- 4 ounces mascarpone
- 8 sun-dried tomatoes (preserved in olive oil)
- 2 tablespoons capers, rinsed to remove excess salt (optional) or 2 tablespoons vinegar (optional)
- 8 anchovy fillets, halved (optional)
- 10 basil leaves, roughly torn
- 4 salmon fillets, skinless
- 2 ounces sharp cheddar cheese, finely grated
- Preheat the oven to 375F and get out an ovenproof dish (measuring 8 by 12in, and about 2in deep).
- Meanwhile, put a large pan of water on to boil for the pasta. When it is boiling rapidly, tip in the pasta with a generous sprinkling of salt.
- Give it a stir, return to the boil and cook for 6 minutes. Add the broccoli, then return the water to the boil and cook for 4 minutes more, until the broccoli is on the firm side of just tender. Drain well.
- While the pasta is cooking, put the butter, flour and milk in a large pan and heat, whisking or stirring continuously, until it thickens to make a smooth sauce.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the mascarpone, sun-dried tomatoes, capers (if using), anchovies (if using) and basil, then add the pasta and broccoli and season well.
- Halve the salmon fillets widthways (you will see that there is an obvious divide on each fillet) then place the pieces in a single layer on the base of the ovenproof dish.
- Spoon the broccoli mixture on top, then scatter with the grated cheddar. (You can chill this for up to 4 hours if you want to get ahead.)
- Bake for 30 minutes until the mixture is just starting to bubble round the edges and the mixture is pale golden - don't let it go too dark or the fish will overcook.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION