Italian Braised Beef With Garlic and Mushrooms
- Ready In:
- 1hr 50mins
- 1⁄2 cup dried porcini mushrooms (about 1/2 ounce)
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1 cup crushed tomatoes
- 1 cup dry red wine
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 3 carrots, julienned
- 2 celery ribs, julienned
- 4 garlic cloves, slivered
- 4 teaspoons brown sugar
- 3⁄4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 lb boneless eye of round beef steak, trimmed of fat
- Combine the mushrooms and boiling water in a small bowl and let stand for 20 minutes.
- With the fingers, scoop the mushrooms out of the liquid.
- Strain the mushroom soaking liquid through a fine-meshed sieve and set aside.
- Coarsely chop the mushrooms.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Combine the mushrooms, soaking liquid, tomatoes, wine, tomato paste, carrots, celery, garlic, brown sugar, oregano, salt and pepper in a Dutch oven or flameproof casserole.
- Bring to a boil over medium heat.
- Add the meat to the pan and return to the boil.
- Cover, place in the oven, and bake until the meat is tender, about 1-1/2 hours.
- Slice the meat and serve with the vegetables and sauce.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
<p>I live with my husband, four cats, and a sweet mutt named Jada in Scarborough, Ontario, where I work as an elementary school administrative assistant. I have a 31 year old daughter who lives with her boyfriend in nearby Don Mills, along with my sweet granddogs, Frankie and Turbo. I would have to say that my passion is animals, since I have so many of them! <br /><img src=http://images.quizilla.com/H/h0t5auce/1108834307_brown_answer.jpg alt= /> <br /><img src=http://www.recipezaar.com/members/home/532663/cookswithcattitude.JPG alt= /> <br /><img src=http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r271/copperhorse58/CalendarGirlsSwap2009.jpg alt= /> <br /><br />If I had a month off work to do what I please, I would first catch up on my sleep and then just have fun - see a few movies and maybe take a couple of short trips - something that wouldn't break the bank - lol!</p>