Italian Berry Salad
photo by tomsawyer
- Ready In:
- 1⁄4 cup balsamic vinegar (reduced to 2 tablespoons)
- 1⁄4 cup sugar or 1/4 cup Splenda Sugar Blend for Baking
- 2 lbs fresh strawberries, rinsed, drained and halved
- 1 pint fresh blueberries, rinsed and drained
- 12 -16 ounces fresh raspberries
- 4 ounces Cool Whip Lite (optional)
- Over medium heat, bring 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar to simmer until reduced to thin syrup consistency(about 15 minutes). It should coat the back of a spoon.
- Remove reduction from heat to cool.
- In a large bowl gently mix fruit, careful not to smash raspberries.
- Add 2 tablespoons of the cooled vinegar reduction and sugar to fruit.
- Stir to coat, again careful not to smash berries.
- Cover and place in refrigerator for 30 - 45 minutes.
- May be served plain in small bowl or with a dollop of Cool Whip, or as a topping spooned over plain cake or ice cream.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
This was a really good berry salad that I made for my sister's italian themed birthday party. The balsamic vinegar, I found, cooled very fast and really didn't need to be cooled at all. Because if I left it for a while it would harden and then I had to reheat it. I found that I just had to pour it straight over the berries right away. I found that with it cooling in the fridge and the combination of sugar and balsamic vinegar created a lovely juice in addition to the berries. We served this with Cool Whip and sorbet/gelato. Thanks!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
<p>I enjoy cooking all types of food. I collect cookbooks and have prepared at least one dish from each of them. I love to take food in to work and share recipes with my co-workers. I enjoy attending all types of food and wine festivals. I plan to begin a Fit and Healthy Cookbook. I have Type 2 diabetes and am modifying some of my favorite recipes to keep them in my daily meal plans. I really enjoy my Cook's Illustrated series of cookbooks. I love the discussion and tips portion.</p>