Italian Barley Soup
MAKE IT SHINE! ADD YOUR PHOTO
From The Frugal Gourmet, by Jeff Smith, 1984. This soup is a wonderful main dish for the whole family, and tastes even better on the second day. Serve with a crusty Italian bread and green salad.
- Ready In:
- 3hrs 15mins
- 1 1⁄2 quarts basic brown soup stock (See $notetemplate1$)
- 2 cups water
- 3⁄4 cup barley
- 1 cup celery, chopped
- 1 cup carrot, grated
- 1 cup yellow onion, peeled and chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1⁄2 cup red wine
- 1 piece lemon peel, about 1 inch by 1/2 inch
- fresh ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 tablespoon basil
- 1⁄4 tablespoon oregano
- 1⁄2 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 2 bay leaves
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh rosemary leaf
- 2 tomatoes, chopped
- 4 tablespoons tomato paste
- parmesan cheese or romano cheese, grated
- Bring soup stock and water to a boil in a large stockpot.
- Reduce heat and add barley, celery, carrot, onion, garlic, red wine, lemon, pepper, and salt.
- Cover and simmer for 2 hours, stirring frequently to prevent barley from sticking to the bottom of the pot.
- Add the herbs, tomatoes, and tomato paste and cook for 1 more hour.
- Leave the lid on during cooking and occasionally check to see if you need to add water.
- Ladle into soup bowls and sprinkle with grated cheese before serving.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION