Italian Baked Potatoes
From a potato cookbook by Robyn Martin
- Ready In:
- 6 medium potatoes, peeled
- 400 g Italian tomatoes
- 2 cups mozzarella cheese, grated
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1⁄2 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 6 tablespoons olive oil
- 1⁄4 cup soft breadcrumbs
- Cook potatoes in boiling salted water for 10 mins, drain well. Cool and then cut into 1cm slices.
- Arrange a layer of potatoes over the base of a greased shallow ovenproof dish.
- Pour over half the tomatoes, sprinkle with half the mozzarella and parmesan and 1 tsp of the basil then sprinkle with 2 tblsp oil.
- Repeat the layers and sprinkle with breadcrumbs and remaining oil.
- Bake at 190.C for 30 mins or until the potatoes are cooked and the top golden brown.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
Reviewed for Aus/NZ Forum Recipe Swap for March 2012- Nice potato side, but like NurseJaney I found that the potatoes were still undercooked even after an additional ten minutes in the oven, I think sliceing the postatoes before boiling would be a good idea or slicing thinner before placing in the oven. I think the dish did need a little salt and maybe skip the oil being added to the first layer of the potatoes. This really did look good and had great flavours. Photo also to be postedReply
*Made for Australia/NZ swap #61* As first to review, this is a tasty side, but prep need a little tweaking. Boiling whole potatoes (medium?) for 10 minutes prior to slicing seemed puzzling and not too effective. Did prepare as instructed, but after baking for 30 minutes in 400*F oven, still had some crunch. Next time I will slice potatoes first, then boil for 5-6 minutes (or maybe microwave ?) before building casserole. In dire need of some salt ! Added 1/2 tsp. Italian seasoning to tomatoes as well as extra dried basil. Forgot the breadcrumbs -- but that would surely add eye appeal. I sprinkled with parsley flakes. Adds to my usual potato prep -- thanks for posting Mandy.Reply