Italian Bake Aka Lazy Lazagna
- Ready In:
- 1 1⁄2 lbs ground beef or 1 1/2 lbs turkey
- 2 (8 ounce) jars pasta sauce
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1⁄4 cup grape jelly (makes the sauce darker, richer & that combined with the pepper flakes give it a sweet & spicy flavor)
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) box pasta, of your choice (we like medium shells or rotini & half white & half whole wheat pasta)
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 lb shredded mozzarella cheese
- brown ground beef/turkey with onion & 1 tsp of the garlic powder.
- while meat is cooking boil water for pasta & cook it til still chewy, as it will cook more in the oven.
- when meat is done drain & rinse with hot water to remove as much grease as possible, put back in pan & add jelly & half the pasta sauce, cook til jelly disolves into meat & sauce.
- take all ingredients(except cheese) & place in 9X11 in casserole.
- mix thoroughly.
- toss 1/4 of the cheese in with other ingredients & mix.
- then sprinkle rest of cheese on top, bake @ 375 til golden & bubbly & enjoy!
- As for Once a Month Cooking -- this is how I do it --
- I double, triple or quadruple the recipe except when it comes to the step to place it in the casserole dish I instead place it in large round ice cream buckets I've sprayed with cooking spray, place some plastic wrap on top then place lid & freeze. Then on the day you want to cook it, get it out of freezer in the morning, run bucket under water to loosen a bit. then take contents out (in one huge lump) & put in large round crockpot, it fits perfectly! Set on low, come back 5-6 hours later & voila dinner! You can also use the ice cream bucket method for other casseroles & soups & stews.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!