Israeli Bean Soup
From Norene Gilletz cookbook MealLeaniYumm. I always try to post recipes that are for everyone, and not just for a select group of people. This is a really hearty soup, and it is so amazing.
- Ready In:
- 1hr 15mins
- 2 cups small white beans (navy beans, etc)
- 6 cups cold water, for soaking the beans
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 onions, chopped
- 3 celery ribs, chopped
- 3 -4 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 carrots, chopped
- 6 1⁄2 cups water
- 2 potatoes, peeled and cut into small chunks
- 1 -2 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 28 ounces crushed tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- salt and pepper
- 1⁄4 - 1⁄2 cup fresh cilantro, minced
- Soak beans overnight. Drain and rinse well.
- Heat oil in a large heavy bottomed soup pot and saute onion and celery for five minutes until golden.
- Add carrots and garlic and saute for another five minutes. Add water, beans, potatoes, bay leaves, thyme and cumin.
- Bring to a boil, and then reduce to simmer for 1 hour.
- Add tomatoes, tomato paste, salt and pepper.
- Cook 1/2 hour longer, until beans are tender.
- Add cilantro.
- If soup is too thick thin with a little bit of water.
- Time given does not include overnight soaking.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
see 6 more