MAKE IT SHINE! ADD YOUR PHOTO
Posted in response to a request. The Iskender kebab has first produced in Bursa. The dish is one of the most delicious and well-known meat dishes of Turkey. Prep time includes marinade time.
- Ready In:
- 25hrs 20mins
- 2 lbs lamb, cubes
- 4 large onions
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- olive oil
- 2 round pita breads
- 2 tablespoons tomato puree
- 2 large tomatoes
- 2 cups plain plain yogurt
- 4 cloves garlic
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper
- 4 large chili peppers
- First make the marinade for the meat.
- Place onions in a food processor and process till liquid, discard any remaining onion pulp.
- Mix salt, pepper, olive oil, and onion juice in a bowl.
- Add diced or cubed lamb pieces and marinade overnight or for 24 hours.
- Place marinaded lamb pieces onto a skewer and cook on grill, basting with more marinade until brown and tender all over, approximately 10-15 minutes.
- While the meat is cooking you can prepare the Iskender plate.
- Warm pita on the grill on both sides and keep warm.
- When everything is ready then slice the pita into squares, divide into 4 portions and place as a layer on each plate.
- Crush garlic with the salt and add into yogurt, mix well, add extra salt to taste.
- Spoon onto the pita squares just before adding hot lamb kebabs.
- Cut tomatoes in half and grill slowly until hot, don't overcook, as they will become too soft and soggy.
- Repeat with the chilli peppers.
- Mix tomato puree with olive oil and pepper and heat in a small saucepan, add salt to taste, and drizzle over kebabs as it is the meat sauce.
- Garnish with the grilled tomatoes and chili peppers, and sprigs of fresh dark green parsley or mint.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
A proper Iskender kebab is made from a lamb doner. Not many people can do this at home. I like to use griddled fillet steak cut thinly. Apart from the meat, the most important part of this dish is the tomato sauce. Its a fine skill to get the authentic taste right just like they do in some parts of Turkey. The recipe given here has missed out one major ingredients of the sauce, and that is butter.Reply