Iron Chef Winner's Japanese-Style Hamburgers
photo by Redsie
- Ready In:
- 14 ounces ground beef
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt, to taste
- ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 onion, chopped fine
- vegetable oil (for frying)
- 1 egg
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- 1 cup breadcrumbs
- 2⁄3 cup water
- 3 tablespoons ketchup
- 1 tablespoon sake
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon butter
- In a mixing bowl, season ground beef to taste with salt and pepper.
- Heat a small amount of oil in saute pan and cook onion until tender.
- In a small bowl, beat egg lightly; add milk, mixing well.
- Stir in breadcrumbs and allow to rest.
- Add onions and breadcrumbs to ground beef, working ingredients together with your hands.
- Divide meat into fourths, and make a patty; toss back and forth to force air out.
- Shape into burger shape.
- Heat small amount of oil in skillet and cook burgers; cover pan, and simmer on medium-high heat until burgers cook done; then remove lid, reduce heat to medium, and cook till water disappears.
- Remove from pan.
- Add 2/3 cup water, ketchup, sake, Worcestershire sauce, soy sauce, and butter to pan; bring to boil.
- Simmer till thickened.
- Spoon sauce over burgers on plate.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I am a longtime member since 2002. While I have many recipes here, most of my current recipes are on my food blog at palatablepastime.com I may occasionally post something extra I have here. If you have questions, you can always contact me at email@example.com