Irish Stew With Dumplings
- Ready In:
- 2hrs 30mins
- 1 1⁄2 lbs lamb (neck or breast)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 3 tablespoons bacon drippings
- 2 onions, peeled and sliced
- stock or water, to cover
- 1 turnip, peeled and diced
- 1 stalk celery, diced
- 2 carrots, peeled and diced
- 2 cups potatoes, peeled and cubed
- parsley sprig
Irish stew dumplings
- 1 cup flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon bacon drippings
- 1⁄3 cup milk (up to 1/2 cup)
- For the stew: cut the meat into small pieces, season and dredge with flour.
- Melt bacon drippings in a heavy skillet and brown the meat; add onions and cook until golden.
- Add enough stock or water to cover meat.
- Add turnip, carrots, celery and parsley; simmer for two hours.
- Add cubed potatoes and cook more rapidly until potatoes are done.
- To make the dumplings: sift dry ingredients together, cut in fat and add enough milk to give a smooth drop batter.
- Drop by spoonfuls over the top of the stew (the stew should be kept boiling hot).
- Cover the pot and allow dumplings to steam 15 minutes without lifting cover.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!