Irish Potato Leek Soup
This soup recipe is adapted from McGuire's Irish Pub in Pensacola, Florida. Perfect for St. Patty's Day, or anytime at all. Tasty and easy to make.
- Ready In:
- 1hr 20mins
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter (1 stick)
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 3 leeks, thinly sliced (use only the bottom part and rinse thoroughly to remove any grit)
- 3 large baking potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 3 (14 1/2 ounce) cans chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- shredded cheddar cheese
- crumbled cooked bacon
- chopped fresh chives
- Melt butter in a large saucepan over low heat; stir in onion and leek. Cover and cook 20 minutes. Stir in potato; cover and cook 15 minutes. Stir in broth, salt, and pepper; bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer 30 minutes or until potato is tender. Remove from heat, and cool slightly.
- Process soup in batches in a blender until smooth, stopping to scrape down sides; return to saucepan, and cook over medium heat until thoroughly heated.
- Serve with some or all of desired toppings.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION