Irish Mashed Potatoes
The leeks give a mild onion flavor to the potatoes. This is a reasonably low cal. recipe. If you wish this recipe to be strict vegetarian/vegan use soy milk or vegetable broth instead of milk
- Ready In:
- 1 1⁄2 lbs potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks
- 1 cup chopped leek, well cleaned
- 1 cup low-fat milk
- 1 tablespoon lite olive oil
- salt and pepper
- Boil potatoes until tender about 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile in another saucepan combine leeks and the milk.
- Bring to a simmer, stirring occasionally and cook until the leeks are tender, about 15 minutes.
- Drain Potatoes and return them to the pot, mash until smooth.
- Stir in Oil and warm leeks with the milk.
- Season to taste.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
Join The Conversation
Quick to make, the leeks add a wonderful flavour, and there is sufficient milk to give this mash the creaminess we all crave for when we eat mashed potatoes. Because I want to throw cloves of garlic in wherever I can get away with it, I confess to having added 3 cloves of finely chopped garlic in with the leeks. What a bonus that one can eat this dish knowing that this dish is lower in fat than many comparable potato mash dishes! Thank you, Bergy, for a great recipe that I’ll certainly be making again!