Irish Bacon and Cabbage With Mustard Sauce
- Ready In:
- 3hrs 45mins
- 2 lbs irish boiling bacon (such as Tommy Moloney's which can be ordered online.)
- 14 cups water, divided
- 12 ounces small red potatoes
- 4 medium carrots, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1 (3 lb) cabbage, trimmed, cored and quartered
- 2 tablespoons butter (unsalted)
- 1 small onion (finely chopped)
- 1 garlic clove (minced)
- 2⁄3 cup dry white wine
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard (whole grain)
- 1 1⁄4 cups milk (2 %)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper (freshly ground)
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- Place the bacon in a large Dutch oven, cover with 8 cups of water. Bring to a boil, cover, reduce heat and simmer for 2 hours. Skim foam from liquid as necessary.
- Remove bacon from pan, cover and keep warm. Remove 1 1/4 cups of cooking liquid from pan, reserve for mustard sauce. Discard the remaining cooking liquid.
- Add red potatoes, carrots and cabbage to pan, cover with the remaining 6 cups of water. Bring to a boil. Cover and simmer 20 minutes or until vegetables are tender, drain. Cut each cabbage quarter in half lenghtwise.
- Melt butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat.Add onion and garlic, cook for 3 minutes or until tender, stirring occasionally. Stir in wine and mustard, cook 2 minutes. Add the reserved 1 1/4 cups bacon cooking liquid and milk. Bring to a boil, cook 20 minutes or until reduced to 2 cups, stirring frequently. Stir in black pepper and salt.
- Cut the bacon into 8 slices. Serve with vegetables and sauce.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
<img src="http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j166/ZaarNicksMom/PACsticker-Adopted.jpg"> Thank you CarrolJ for adopting me! <img src=http://i335.photobucket.com/albums/m445/mliss29/vegn%20swap/vegnswap.jpg> Thanks Katzen for putting together my Veggie cookbook, adopting me and the very nice reviews. You're an excellent forum host. <img src="http://i425.photobucket.com/albums/pp340/northwestgal/redbannercopy.jpg" border="0" alt="New Kids Participation Banner"> Thanks Sydney Mike for the review! <a href="http://www.1-coupons.com/coupons/"><img border="0" src="http://cb.amazingcounters.com/counter.php?i=2776407&c=8329534" alt="Discount Flowershop"></a><a href="http://www.1-coupons.com/coupons/internet-florist.htm">Discount Flowershop</a>