Irish Applesauce Soda Bread
This is a delicious, low fat bread.
- Ready In:
- 2 cups unbleached flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup low-fat buttermilk
- 1⁄2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 1⁄2 cup raisins
- 2 tablespoons skim milk
- In large bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking soda and salt.
- In small bowl, combine buttermilk, applesauce and butter.
- Add applesauce mixture to flour mixture; stir until dough forms a ball.
- Turn out onto floured surface and knead raisins into dough.
- Pat dough into 7-inch round and place in sprayed 8-inch round baking pan; cut ¼-inch deep cross into top of dough and brush with milk.
- Bake 35 minutes at 375 degrees, or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cool in pan 10 minutes, invert onto wire rack, turn right side up, and cool completely.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
I was looking for a recipe for soda bread that would have applesauce, and I found this. The only reason I tweaked it is because I didn't have raisins, and I decided to see if coconut cooking oil would work just as well as butter (because we were running low, and I wanted it ON the bread!). I'm very happy with how it came out! I baked it in a convection oven, so it was actually done in about 20minutes. Thanks for sharing this!Reply
I'd luv to give this 5 stars since it is a wonderful, light and yummy bread that has exactly the same texture as the soda breads I used to eat when living in Ireland. The taste, though is even better! I absolutely love the added raisins and think 1/2 cup is plenty (and I DO like raisins a lot!). But unfortunately I had troubles with the dough: Like Kitchen Little said, 2 cups of flour is just not enough. I ended up nearly doubleing the amount of flour used and the dough was still sticky. I decided to go ahead with it anyways and it turned out beautifully. So, maybe you'll revise the flour quantities and then I can come back and change my rating. Thank you so much for sharing this outstanding recipe with us, A Messy Cook!Reply
see 4 more