Instant Pot Spotted Dick (Gluten Free)
photo by Sarah P.
- Ready In:
- 1hr 25mins
1 pudding cake
- 1 cup shredded beef suet (cold, gluten free)
- 3⁄4 cup sweet rice flour
- 3⁄4 cup cornstarch or 3/4 cup tapioca starch
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon xanthan gum
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1 egg
- 1⁄4 currants
- 1⁄4 cup raisins
- 1 lemon zest (zest from 1 lemon)
- Using a food processor or high speed blender, add the suet, sweet rice flour, starch, baking powder, xanthan gum, and salt. Pulse blend until it's mixed thoroughly. Then add suet/flour mixture to a mixing bowl.
- Add egg to the suet/flour mixture in the mixing bowl, and begin gently mixing with a spatula. Slowly add the milk and continue to mix gently until a ball of dough is formed. You may have to start using your hands to get it thoroughly incorporated.
- Add your currants, raisins and zest and mix with your hands.
- Grease a pudding basin or bowl. I used a 4 cup Pyrex glass measuring cup. Place the dough in there and pat it flat on top.
- Cover with parchment paper, then foil, and secure the edges with an elastic or twine.
- Put 3-4 cups of water in an Instant Pot (depending on the size of pot you have), and place your steamer rack on the bottom. Place your basin/bowl on top of the steamer rack, secure the lid, and seal the valve.
- Press "Steam" (or "Manual" and make sure it's on High Pressure and Normal) and set the timer for 1 hour and 10 minutes. Then leave it to steam.
- After the timer goes off and the steaming is finished, open the valve to do the Quick Release of pressure. Remove the lid and carefully remove the (hot) basin/bowl. Let it sit to cool for 5 minutes.
- Remove the parchment and foil, and gently invert the pudding onto a plate. Serve with your favourite custard.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!