Instant Pot Chicken Dinner With Root Vegetables
photo by Probably This
- Ready In:
- 1 lemon, zest of, finely grated
- 3⁄4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- kosher salt & freshly ground black pepper
- one chicken (3 1/2 pound)
- 1 large turnip, cut in sixths
- 3 large parsnips, peeled and cut in half crosswise (or carrots)
- 1 large fennel bulb, top trimmed and bulb quartered
- 4 large shallots, peeled
- 5 sprigs thyme
- 1⁄2 cup white wine
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1 large bunch tuscan kale, de-stemmed and coarsely chopped
- Combine lemon zest, red pepper flakes, 1 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon salt, and 2 teaspoons black pepper in a small bowl. Using your fingers, lift skin up and off of breasts and legs. Season underneath skin with half of salt mixture. Using remaining half to season exterior of chicken.
- Place bird in the Instant Pot. Top with turnips, parsnips or carrots, fennel, shallots, and thyme sprigs. Season vegetables with salt and pepper. Pour white wine and water or broth into the bottom of the Instant Pot. Scatter butter over contents of pot and dot with dijon.
- Place lid on pot and set pressure to high. Cook 20 minutes. Release pressure naturally for 10 minutes before releasing pressure manually. Open lid and place to saute setting. Remove chicken and vegetables with a slotted spoon to a plate. Keep warm. When liquid comes to a simmer, add kale and cook just until wilted, 30 seconds. Serve with chicken and root vegetables, spooning sauce around each portion. If a more stew-like meal is desired, pull meat from bones before serving, discarding skin, add back to soup pot with kale and vegetables.
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!