Instant Oatmeal Ala Home - Homemade
photo by rushmer4
- Ready In:
- Put 1/2 cup oats in a blender and blend on high until powdery.
- Set aside in a small bowl, and repeat procedure with an additional 1/2 cup oats.
- If you're using a food processor, you can do the 1 cup of oats in one batch.
- Put the following ingredients into each small-size zip baggie: 1/4 cup un-powdered oats, 2 tablespoons powdered oats, and 1/8 teaspoons salt.
- *Optional:add to each packet additional flavors.
- Store in an airtight container.
- To serve: Empty packet into a bowl.
- Add 3/4 cup boiling water.
- Stir and let stand for 2 minutes.
- For thicker oatmeal, use less water – for thinner oatmeal, use more water.
- Apple-Cinnamon Oatmeal-.
- 1 tablespoons sugar.
- 1/4 teaspoons cinnamon, and 2 tablespoons chopped dried apples.
- Sweetened Oatmeal-.
- 1 tablespoons sugar or 1 packet'Equal' artificial.
- Brown Sugar/Cinnamon Oatmeal-.
- 1 tablespoons brown sugar 1/4 teaspoons cinnamon.
- Oatmeal w/Raisins& Brown Sugar-.
- 1 tablespoons packed brown sugar 1 tablespoons raisins.
- Health Nut Oatmeal-.
- 2 tablespoons any kind of wheat germ.
- Fruit& Cream Oatmeal.
- 1 tablespoons non-dairy coffee creamer 2 tablespoons dried fruit.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
I love this recipe! I only buy quick-cooking accidentally, so for the 2 cups of oats that don't get pulverized into powder, I sometimes grind the remaining oats down to smaller pieces that look like quick-cooking oats. If I eat this as instant oatmeal, it helps to grind the whole oats. However, if I'm making an instant oatmeal cookie [recipe 170423], it doesn't matter if I don't grind the oats. To get the right proportions for optional flavorings, I refer to recipe 186736. What else can I say? It works, I can adjust salt, sugar, and add-ins, I can use less-processed oats (not quick-cooking) but still get instant oatmeal ... what's not to love? (OK, I love oatmeal. If you don't, I'm sure this doesn't improve it much.)