- Ready In:
2 + Pounds
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup light corn syrup
- 3 cups evaporated milk
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Mix sugar, syrup and 1 1/2 cups evaporated milk.
- Cook over medium heat stirring until all the sugar is dissolved.
- Continue cooking until mixture forms firm ball in cold water.
- BE SURE TO STIR FREQUENTLY!
- Cook approximately 40 minutes.
- Add VERY SLOWLY 1 1/2 cups evaporated milk, butter and salt.
- Continue cooking as above until firm ball.
- Remove from heat.
- Add vanilla.
- Pour into buttered pan to cool.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
I cut this recipe in half, just because I didn't want 2 pounds of it around! Still it made a lot of VERY FLAVORFUL CARAMELS that will be enjoyed for a while around here! Am looking forward to making the whole thing during special holidays of events, since it makes a nice change from the usual fudge, etc! Many thanks for sharing the recipe! [Tagged, made & reviewed for one of my adopted chefs in the current Pick A Chef]
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I am no longer single. I found me an amazing man and we married, it has been almost 3 years now. My little girl is 13 now and she is amazing. I went to school and got my Bachelor's Degree in Criminal Justice and I work for the State as a Parole Officer now. I have realized that I hate cooking. I really do hate it. Luckily I married a man who loves to cook. He hates to bake, and I actually do like to bake. So I am what one would consider a somewhat mediocre baker. I still think about my Zaar Angel all the time. She knows who she is. I do enjoy to crochet, I do that a lot here lately. I use to do counted cross stitch, yet I don't do that anymore. I can't watch TV as well as I can while I crochet.