Indonesian Pineapple Curry
photo by mliss29
- Ready In:
- 1 teaspoon cardamom seed
- 1 teaspoon coriander seed
- 1 teaspoon cumin seed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon whole cloves
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 spring onions, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 2 inches piece fresh ginger, grated
- 4 candlenuts or 4 macadamia nuts, roughly chopped
- 1 cup water
- 1 teaspoon sambal oelek
- 1 tablespoon of fresh mint, chopped
- 1 medium fresh pineapple or (15 1/4 ounce) can pineapple chunks, drained
- Spice Mixture: Grind the cardamom seeds, coriander seeds, cumin seeds and cloves in a mortar and pestle.
- Peel and halve the pineapple, remove the core, and cut into 1 inch chunks, set aside to be used later.
- Note : If the pineapple is a little tart, add 1 to 2 teaspoons sugar.
- Heat the oil in a medium pan. Then add the spring onion, ginger, candlenuts and spice mixture, and stir-fry over low heat for 3 minutes.
- Add the water, sambal oelek, mint and pineapple and bring to the boil.
- Reduce the heat to low, cover and simmer for 10 minutes, or until the pineapple is tender but still holding its shape.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Very nice! Minty, sweet, and spicy! I made some changes to account for what I could find and what I had on hand. I didn't read carefully on the spice mix and thus, didn't have whole seeds for coriander. So I just used 1/4 tsp ground for the first three and a smidge of ground cloves. From reading Zaar's description of sambal oelek, I decided to use 1/4 tsp cayenne, 1/2 tsp brown sugar, & 1/4 tsp salt. I think it turned out good! Reviewed for ZWT4.
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
Follower of Jesus: I have a strong faith in God & his love for all of us. He is the first & last in my life and it is my desire to tell others of His greatest gift to us...His Son. Explorer: I love to learn about new cultures & try new foods. While in Morocco I learned to appreciate the use of spices. Wife: I'm married to my best friend. Sister: I am the oldest of six children. Mother: My son lives in CA while my daughter lives close to me. Grandmother: My beautiful granddaughter has stolen my heart.