Individual Molten Lava Cakes
- Ready In:
- 4 ounces bittersweet chocolate, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter
- 2 large eggs
- 2 large egg yolks
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- confectioners' sugar
- Position rack in middle of oven and preheat to 450 degrees F. Butter and flour four 4-ounce ramekins.
- Melt chocolate with butter. Remove from heat. Beat eggs, yolks and sugar with an electric mixer on high speed in a deep bowl, 8 minutes, until thick and pale. Whisk chocolate mixture into egg mixture. Whisk in flour.
- Pour batter into ramekins. Place on baking sheet and bake 14 minutes, or until cakes have risen and have a thin crust, sides are set and cakes are slightly jiggly in the center; under baking is better than over baking.
- Carefully invert each cake onto a serving plate and let sit 20 seconds. Unmold by lifting up one corner of mold; cake will fall onto plate. Dust tops with confectioners' sugar and serve immediately.
Join The Conversation
I love this recipe! I have recently had to start living a gluten free lifestyle for medical reasons and found this recipe to be very versatile. I used 6 oz of 70% chocolate and only 2 tablespoons of gluten free all purpose flour (cup4cup brand) as alternatives in the recipe and baked for only 8-10 minutes to remain molten (12-15 minutes for a moist chocolate cake).