Indian-Style Potatoes - Khatta Aloo
A good side dish to go along with curried meats or as part of a vegetarian meal.
- Ready In:
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon caraway seed
- 3⁄4 teaspoon cumin seed
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1⁄2 cup finely chopped red onion
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 hot chili pepper, seeded and finely chopped (amount to taste)
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh ginger
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 1⁄2 cups cooked diced new potatoes
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro (fresh coriander)
- 2 tablespoons chopped of fresh mint
- 1 lime, juiced
- salt, to taste
- black pepper, to taste
- In a large skillet heat cumin, caraway, cuminseed, ground coriander in the oil only until fragrant, swirling the pan.
- Add the onion and cook 1 minute.
- Add the garlic, hot chile, and ginger, and cook until the onion is tender.
- Add the turmeric and cayenne to the pan and mix into the onion mixture before adding the potatoes and lime juice; season with salt and pepper.
- Warm the dish through until hot and garnish with the cilantro and mint leaves.
- Serve hot.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
Looking at the recipe, I already knew it would be way too spicy for me so I used only 1/4 of the suggested cayenne pepper. This made the spiciness perfect for me. I also cut down the amount of lime. I used gold potatoes, boiled them in salt water till soft and then combined with the onion spice mixture and cooked them for 5-10 minutes more with a little extra veggie broth till they were super fluffy and extra delicious! Disregarding the spice level, overall, good dish. Very flavorful and smells great! I definitely make again.Reply
I made it for dinner today and we didn't have any leftovers. I have to disagree with those who thought it was too spicy.It was just right for our taste. I followed the recipe exactly and only substituted lemon juice for lime juice. It is a nice side dish or a vegetarian entree. Will make it again,only double the recipe.Thank you.1Reply
see 15 more