Indian Red Gun Powder (Molaha Podi)
- Ready In:
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons channa dal
- 2 tablespoons Urad Dal (white gram beans)
- 15 small dry red chile
- 1⁄2 teaspoon asafoetida powder
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt, to taste
- 1 1⁄2 1 1/2 tablespoons palm sugar or 1 1/2 tablespoons jaggery
- Heat the 1 t oil in a wok or heavy skillet over medium heat for 3 minutes.
- Add the urad and channa dal and chiles.
- Fry stirring constantly until the beans begin to turn color, about 3 minutes.
- Stir in the asafetida and sesame seeds.
- Continue frying until the contents of the pan are nicely browned and smell roasted, about 3 minutes.
- Turn off the heat, transfer mixture to a plate and cool completely.
- Blend in the sugar and salt.
- Grind the mixture to a powder using a coffee grinder (my preferred method), or a large mortar and pestle or spice mill.
- The powder should be neither course, nor as fine as flour; it should have a grainy texture.
- This mixture stays fresh indefinitely if stored in an airtight container in a cool place.
- Optionally, just before serving, blend a little oil into as much powder as you might use to make a sauce.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
Join The Conversation