Indian Greens With Potatoes
MAKE IT SHINE! ADD YOUR PHOTO
Adapted from Goldilocks at Food52.com's Indian-Style Fragrant Buttered Greens with Potatoes, this is a great side dish or meal with the addition of a can of chickpeas.
- Ready In:
- 1 lb potato, cubed (preferable Yukon gold)
- 1 bunch fresh greens, washed and cut into 1-inch ish strips (such as kale, mustard, collard, beet or turnip greens even spinach works)
- 2 tablespoons oil or 2 tablespoons ghee
- 1 onion, sliced
- 1 (15 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon cumin seed
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder (optional)
- 1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt (to taste)
- 1 tablespoon mustard seeds (optional)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cardamom (optional) or 2 cardamom pods (optional)
- In a large frying pan heat oil or ghee over medium heat and add cumin, mustard seeds, & cardamom if using. Stirring constantly, heat until fragrant, ~2 minute Add potatoes & onions and saute until onions are golden brown, ~ 5 minutes.
- Add tomatoes, garlic, ginger, & remaining spices, stir and cook 5 minutes.
- Add greens & 1/2 cup water if needed. Bring to a boil then lower to a simmer, cover and cook until your greens are done ~10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add chickpeas at the same time as the greens if using.
- Serve with a dollop of yogurt, on naan or over rice!
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION