Indian Chai Iced Coffee
photo by Artandkitchen
- Ready In:
- 2hrs 20mins
- 3 cups cold mineral water
- 5 slices fresh ginger (thin slices, peeled then sliced)
- 12 whole cloves
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 teaspoon anise seed
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cardamom or 3 whole cardamom pods, crushed
- 2 tablespoons fine ground coffee (mysore or your own favorite)
- 1 cup whole milk
- 2 tablespoons jaggery or 2 tablespoons dark brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons buckwheat honey or 2 tablespoons other strong honey
- In a saucepan, add ginger, cloves, anise and cardamom to the cups of water.
- Break the cinnamon stick and add it to the mixture.
- Heat over medium heat until the water boils, then reduce the heat to a simmer and cook for about 15 minutes.
- Add the coffee, stir, and let steep, off the heat, for about 5 minutes.
- Using a fine meshed filter or cheesecloth, pour the coffee through and into a bowl.
- Pour the strained coffee into a clean saucepan and add the honey, sugar and milk and heat almost to boiling then remove the pan from the heat, pour into a heat-proof pitcher, cool then refrigerate until it is chilled, about 2 hours.
- To serve, add ice to squat glasses, pour on the chai coffee, and enjoy. Recipes easily doubles.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
This needs 10 stars! The flavors in this really make your taste buds stand up and take notice. It makes small servings (I used 4 oz. cups) but it is so rich and strong, you don't need much. I only made 2 servings, but given that it is a tad labor intensive, I will make the full amount next time and store it for later use. I also think this would be great served hot in the winter. Made for Comfort Cafe Summer 2009.
Anna you truly are the Coffee Queen. This is so good. I think its even better than chai tea. The spices are wonderful with this cold, dark, strong coffee. A perfect blending of coffee, spices, milk and sweetness. This ice cold treat will be enjoyed in the winter as well as the summer, can't help myself. Thanks so much for sharing another winner.