Indian Butter Chicken (From the Spice and Herb Bible)
photo by mlao77
- Ready In:
- 6 -7 chicken breast fillets (I also use some skinless thighs for DH)
- 3 tablespoons tandoori spice mix
- 1 1⁄2 cups plain yogurt
- 1 tablespoon butter or 1 tablespoon ghee
- 1 tablespoon cumin seed, ground
- 1 tablespoon freshly crushed garlic
- 6 tablespoons pureed onions (about 3 onions)
- 1 tablespoon medium heat curry powder
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 teaspoons tomato sauce mixed with 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon tomatoes or 1 tablespoon mango chutney
- 1 tablespoon ground almonds
- 2 teaspoons garam masala
- 1 tablespoon coriander leaves (cilantro leaves)
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 1⁄2 cups coconut milk
Tandoori Spice Mix
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons sweet paprika
- 1 teaspoon cumin seed, ground
- 1 teaspoon coriander seed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ginger, ground
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon, quills ground
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fenugreek seeds, ground
- 1⁄2 black pepper, ground
- 1⁄4 teaspoon medium heat chili powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon green cardamom seeds, ground
- 1⁄4 teaspoon caraway seed, all ground
- 2 brown cardamom pods, roughly ground in pestle with mortar
- Mix one half Tabdoori spice blend with yogurt and marinate chicken overnight.
- Next day, grill the chicken while preparing the sauce as follows.
- In a pan, melt butter, add ground cumin and stir fry 30 seconds.
- Add garlic and onion, stir fry for 2-3 minutes.
- Mix together remainder Tandoori spice blend with curry powder, tomato paste, tomato sauce, chutney, ground almonds and garam masala, then add to sauce.
- Simmer a few minutes, then add cooked chicken (you may cut up chicken into smaller pieces, if desired), along with any remaining marinade and pan drippings.
- Add coriander leaves, cream, coconut milk, and add salt to taste.
- Simmer gently and allow to reduce a little.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I'm a 31 yo SAHM, originally from Toronto but now I reside in North Eastern PA raising my 2 beautiful babies (Kaden and Iliana). I love to cook all types of food (although I'm not a baker) and I'm even happier watching those I love appreciate the fruits of my efforts. I'm really enjoying this site and learning from all the great cooks out there! <img src="http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j166/ZaarNicksMom/Animation6.gif"> <img src="http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j166/ZaarNicksMom/PACsticker-Adopted.jpg">