Idaho Chili Stew
A very yummy chili type stew that I grew up with. Nothing's better than delicous flavour in a short amount of time. The red lentils become part of the stew's base, in effect thickening it. This stew is excellent served with cornbread. Originally from "Fast Fixin' Kid's Recipes".
- Ready In:
- 2 cups tomato juice
- 1 (19 ounce) can garbanzo beans, undrained (chickpeas)
- 1 cup water
- 1 medium potato, peeled and chopped
- 1⁄2 cup dried red lentils, rinsed and drained
- 1 medium carrot, cut into 1 " strips
- 1 tablespoon minced dried onion
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon beef bouillon or 1 teaspoon vegetarian beef bouillon powder
- Combine all ingredients in a large saucepan.
- Bring to boil, reduce heat.
- Cover and simmer 30 minutes, or till lentils are tender.
- Stir occasionally.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
RECIPE MADE WITH LOVE BY
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
This is a lovely dish and soo simple to make - just throw everything in and simmer! Made one major change though: I had no dried onions so I used one whole onion instead, chopped. (I like onions!!) The dish is also light, one serving is only 3,5 WW Points. My only gripe is that as is, the recipe is a bit on the bland side, which I kind of expected as it comes from a kid's recipe book - I like spicy food so I used 3 ts of chili powder and I think I can safely use 4 ts next time, and will also add some cumin along with a pinch of salt. Minor spice tinkering aside, a lovely recipe! Thanks for posting!Reply