Hungarian Kolache (Nut Roll)
- Ready In:
- 1hr 15mins
- 1⁄4 cup warm water
- 2 (1/4 ounce) packages dry yeast (not rapid rise)
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 6 1⁄2 cups flour
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup butter, melted and cooled
- 3 eggs, slightly beaten
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 lb walnuts, ground fine
- 1 1⁄4 cups sugar
- 1 (12 ounce) can evaporated milk
- 1 cup breadcrumbs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Dissolve yeast and sugar in warm water. Wait until it is activated before adding to dry ingredients.
- Mix together the flour sugar and salt.
- Stir in eggs, melted butter, sour cream and dissolved yeast.
- Mix well.
- Let dough rest for 10 minutes, covered with a mixing bowl with some flour underneath to prevent dough from sticking.
- Divide into 4 egual parts.
- Roll out separately onto a floured board into a 14 x 12 rectangle.
- Spread with 1/4 of nut mixture and cover dough to within one inch from the edge.
- Begin to roll up jelly roll fashion from the 12 inch side.
- Seal edge.Tuck ends under Put seam side down on cookie sheet covered with parchment paper.
- Cover with clean cloth.
- Continue to roll and fill dough covering each with cloth.
- Let rise for one hour or until double in bulk.
- You can place 2 rolls on one cookie sheet.
- Bake at 325 degrees for 30 to 35 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Transfer to a wire rack and cool.
- Can be frozen.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
Join The Conversation