I have made this for over 25 years-this is real old-fashioned comfort food, if you like the taste of paprika.
- Ready In:
- 2hrs 20mins
- 2 lbs stewing beef, cut into cubes
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1 1⁄4 cups chopped onions
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- 1 teaspoon cider vinegar
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 2 cups water
- 1⁄4 teaspoon caraway seed
- 1⁄8 teaspoon marjoram
- Salt and pepper beef, and shake on some paprika.
- In Dutch oven, melt butter and brown meat over medium heat.
- Add onions, garlic, green pepper, vinegar, tomato sauce, balance of paprika, caraway, marjoram, and water.
- Stir well.
- Simmer, covered, until meat is tender-about 11/2-2 hours.
- Add more water if needed.
- Serve over hot noodles, adding a dollup of sour cream if you wish.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
This was a very easy recipe. I substituted red pepper instead of green pepper. I fed a group of 10 of us, and doubled the ingredients. I cooked it slowly for about a hour to hour and a half longer than indicated, and it came out wonderful. Served it over egg noodles. It was so good, it lasted less than 2 days. I am going to repeat it again tonight it was so good1Reply
Oh my. This is good, but I guess I tweaked it quite a bit. Used more onion, large bell pepper. more garlic, smoked paprika, and lots of it (3 - 3 1/2 tbls total) Bacon fat instead of butter. Fresh marjoram from the garden (heaping tsp, leaves stripped, uncut) Served with steamed Yukon potatoes. These were steamed with rosemarry and thyme in the water, salt and onions on the steaming potatoes.Replies 2
Used Bacon fat instead of butter (4 Tbls). Used smoked paprika, Tblsp before brown, Tblsp after, and some more to taste at the end. More...more...yum.... Used some dried red pepper flakes. 2 cups onion, ~1 1/2 cups bell pepper, 4 cloves garlic, 1 1/2 cups water (beef released a lot of liquid, compensate for liquid from veggies) Tbls flour at end to thicken a bit.1Replies 1
see 18 more