Humble Home-Cooked Beans
photo by Kozmic Blues
- Ready In:
- 11 ounces dried cannellini beans, soaked in cold water for at least 12 hours
- 3 garlic cloves, unpeeled
- 3 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 sprig fresh rosemary
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 stick celery, trimmed
- 1 small potato, peeled and halved
- 2 cherry tomatoes
- extra virgin olive oil, for topping
- 1 -2 tablespoon red wine vinegar, for topping
- 4 slices sourdough bread, for serving
- Drain the soaked beans, then give them a good wash.
- Place them in a deep pot and cover them with cold water.
- Throw in the garlic, herb sprigs, bay leaves, celery stick, potato and tomatoes.
- Place the beans on the heat and slowly bring to the boil.
- Cover with a lid and simmer very gently for 45 minutes to an hour, until soft and cooked nicely. Skim if necessary, topping up with boiling water from the kettle if you need to.
- When the beans are cooked, drain them in a colander, reserving enough of the cooking water to cover them halfway up when put back in the pot.
- Remove the garlic, herbs, celery, potato and tomatoes from the beans. Squeeze the garlic cloves out of their skins and pinch the skin off the tomatoes.
- Put the garlic, tomatoes and potato onto a plate, mash them with a fork and stir back into the beans.
- Season well with salt and pepper, and pour in up to 3 TBSP of extra-virgin olive oil and a few splashes of vinegar.
- Stir in the parsley and serve on some toasted sourdough bread.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
Friend me on Facebook: <a href="http://www.facebook.com/rebekah.reid" title="Rebekah Reid" target="_TOP" style="font-family: "lucida grande",tahoma,verdana,arial,sans-serif; font-size: 11px; font-variant: normal; font-style: normal; font-weight: normal; color: #3B5998; text-decoration: none;">Rebekah Reid</a> | <a href="http://www.facebook.com/badges.php" title="Make your own badge!" target="_TOP" style="font-family: "lucida grande",tahoma,verdana,arial,sans-serif; font-size: 11px; font-variant: normal; font-style: normal; font-weight: normal; color: #3B5998; text-decoration: none;">Create Your Badge</a><a href="http://www.facebook.com/rebekah.reid" title="Rebekah Reid" target="_TOP"><img src="http://badge.facebook.com/badge/1059979755.389.889814801.png" alt="Rebekah Reid" style="border: 0px;" /></a> Follow me on <a href="http://twitter.com/Becky_R">Twitter!</a> <a href="http://web.me.com/kozmic_blues">My Website!</a> <a href="http://beckystastyplanet.blogspot.com/">Food Blog!</a> <a href="http://gallery.mac.com/kozmic_blues">Photo Gallery!</a> Thanks for visiting my "About Me" page!! I'm Becky and I live in Providence, Rhode Island. I probably enjoy cooking more than almost anything...which is why I adore this site so much!! Nothing makes me more happy than to create a meal for family and friends to share together and ENJOY. <img src=http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:mxVQnIIYIrpqKM:http://quakeragitator.files.wordpress.com/2009/04/autism_awareness_logo3.jpg><img src=http://tbn0.google.com/images?q=tbn:AfhXhWEtLQYbVM:http://www.marriageequalityri.org/photos/shop.a1.jpg><img src=http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:iSI4l3JhSOqKPM:http://marriagerights.files.wordpress.com/2008/11/gay-pride-flag-738850.jpg><img src=http://tbn0.google.com/images?q=tbn:1J1-2O7PWW4c5M:http://www2.hawaii.edu/~mccorkhi/vegan.jpg> <img src=http://i335.photobucket.com/albums/m445/mliss29/vegn%20swap/vegnswap.jpg> <img src=http://i335.photobucket.com/albums/m445/mliss29/vegn%20swap/group07kiwi.jpg> <img src=http://i335.photobucket.com/albums/m445/mliss29/vegnswap1/group02banana.jpg> <img src=http://i335.photobucket.com/albums/m445/mliss29/vegnswap1/group12starfruit.jpg>