Huckleberry's Whole Wheat Apple Butter Cake
MAKE IT SHINE! ADD YOUR PHOTO
Adapted from Huckleberry Bakery & Cafe, Santa Monica, California.
- Ready In:
- 2hrs 10mins
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 1⁄2 lbs apples, peeled and cut into large chunks (about 3 large)
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups almond meal, lightly packed (7 ounces)
- 1 cup whole wheat flour (4.5 ounces)
- 3⁄4 cup all-purpose flour (3.5 ounces including the 1 tbsp)
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup cornmeal (2.5 ounces includng the 1 tbsp)
- 1 tablespoon cornmeal
- 2 1⁄4 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1 lb butter
- 2 1⁄4 cups sugar, plus 3 tablespoons divided (1 pound)
- 8 eggs
- 2 tablespoons vanilla extract
- In a large skillet, melt the butter over medium heat; stir in apples, then sugar, and then salt, tossing to coat.
- Cook, stirring often, until apples are just softened, about 6 minutes; remove from heat and spread out on a rimmed baking sheet to cool off.
- Meanwhile, preheat oven to 350°F; grease a 10-inch round cake pan and line the bottom with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, sift together the almond meal, flours, cornmeal, baking powder, and salt; set aside.
- In the bowl of your stand mixer, using the paddle attachment, beat the butter until softened; while still going, beat in one pound sugar until light and fluffy, 3 to 5 minutes.
- Beat in the eggs, one at a time, then the vanilla.
- Add dry ingredients, one spoonful at a time, until just incorporated (do not over-mix).
- Fold in the cooked apples by hand; spoon mixture into the prepared cake pan and sprinkle on the remaining 3 tablespoons of sugar.
- Bake in the center of the oven until the cake has risen and is a rich golden brown color (it will spring back when lightly.
- touched), about 1 1/2 hours; check the cake after one hour and cover loosely tent with aluminum foil if it browns too quickly.
- Let cake cool in the pan on a rack for 15 minutes before attempting to remove it from the pan.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION