How to Prepare Beef Jerky the South African Way
photo by Bull And C.
- Ready In:
- 1hr 15mins
- 5 kg rump steak
- 300 g rock salt
- 50 g of mix color whole pepper
- 25 g whole coriander seeds
- 4 g sugar
- 1⁄2 liter of brow vinegar
- 25 ml Worcestershire sauce
- 50 g all-purpose seasoning
- 250 ml warm water
- Reach out to your local butchers and get some good quality beef or order it online. I like to buy from https://bullandcleaver.com/. They are trusted and quality is also good. Now get it cut against the grain if possible and stay away from the fat. It would also add more flavor to the beef.
- Take it your place and leave it ideal for not less than one hour.
- Being by sprinkling a bit of rock salt in a plastic or glass dish. Now put the same between each layer and leave the beef for one hour.
- Till the time it gets ready, prepare your spice. Start with whole coriander seeds.
- When it comes to grinding spices, the most preferred way is to use a coffee grinder. You can decide it on your own.
- Once you’re done with grinding, mix pepper.
- Basis your taste, grind it to 5-10g.
- Get some sugar 2-4g.
- Along with some spices around 25g.
- Now mix them well. Remember that you can use it later still if you don’t use this time.
- You would notice moisture drawing out due to rock salt.
- Get 25 ML of Worcester sauce and make your beef bath ready.
- Get 500 ml of brown vinegar.
- 250 ml of warm water.
- Now mix the meat bath together.
- Brush off the salt.
- Put your meat in the meat bath.
- It’s time to sprinkle your spices on it. Keep in mind that less is more.
- Treat your meat in strips by using a variety of spices, chilly, garlic, curry powder, or anything else that tends to enhance its taste. But sprinkle only.
- Now put it in your air dryer.
- Leave some space between these strips to ensure smoother air flow.
- Wait till next morning when the rich texture of your meat comes out.
- If you find it wet and juicy, it means it needs more drying. Taste it regularly and dry it if you don’t get that perfect taste. To enjoy it more, take it with beer. Invite your friends for a fabulous treat this weekend.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!