Back in 1964 my mother and father was into the PTA at school. They took over the schools lunch room to make these for PTA funds. As I have been told was alway a wonderful turn out. I am not sure of the amount it makes. But I do know this is fun for all to get everone to help.
- Ready In:
- 25hrs 50mins
- 3 -4 lbs ground chuck
- 3 -4 lbs ground pork butt
- 4 medium onions
- 12 cloves garlic or 6 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 (16 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 4 teaspoons salt
- 4 teaspoons pepper
- 4 teaspoons chili powder
- 4 teaspoons ground cumin
- 15 cups dry masa harina
- 14 cups of meat juice and water
- 1 -2 package corn husk
- Filling: Lightly brown pork and beef in large pot.
- Add onions,garlic and spices.
- Add tomato sauce to meat mixture and let it simmer.
- Approximately 20 minutes or until juice comes to the top.
- When meat is done drain juice from meat mixture and set aside.
- Massarina Paste: Mix dry mixture and liquid together to the consistency of peanut butter.
- Corn Husks: Soak both packages together over night in warm water.
- Wash and drain on a towel in layers and cover with a moist towel to preserved moister until ready to use.
- Cover corn husk with massarina mix and place meat mixture at the outer edge of the husk.
- Roll each up making sure that there is space to turn up the top and the ends of the husk.
- Cooking: The hot tamales are steamed until the hush pulls away from the massarina with out sticking.
- The time is either 45-60 minutes.